Listed below are nationally board certified Music Therapists here in Arizona ready to serve you!
- National board certification requires that each music therapist has met the eligibility requirements to sit for – and pass the Certified Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) exam.
- A professional music therapist holds a bachelor’s degree or higher in music therapy from one of over 70 American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) approved college and university programs.
- In-depth knowledge in three main areas: musical foundations, clinical foundations, and music therapy foundations and principles as specified in the AMTA Professional Competencies.
- A minimum of 1200 hours of clinical training, including a supervised internship, prior to earning certification.
Scott Tonkinson, MM, MT-BCBoard Certified Music Therapist, Neurologic Music Therapist Arizona Music Therapy Services
Scott is an Music Therapist for St. Luke’s Behavioral Health Center working with patients with multiple addiction/recovery and psychological diagnoses. He also is the director of a private music therapy practice, Arizona Music Therapy Services. Scott brings 20 years of music and counseling experience into his music therapy practice. A graduate of Arizona State University and Belmont University in Nashville, TN, Scott completed his Advanced Master’s degree in Music Therapy at ASU. Scott also completed his certification in Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT) from the Academy of Neurologic Music Therapy (http://cbrm.colostate.edu/academy/).
Scott works with a variety of patient groups including:
- Patients Dealing with Substance Addiction and Recovery
- Traumatic Brain Injury / Stroke (CVA) Victims
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Hospice and Long-Term Care facilities,
- Veterans and others who are challenged with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Children and Adults with special needs including autism, ADHD, developmental and learning disorders
Scott completed his internship in music therapy at Higher Octave Healing in Tempe, AZ and received his board certification from The Certification Board for Music Therapists (http://cbmt.org).